This piece was a first of its kind for me in many ways. I used various techniques for it.
- The paintings are on 9”x12” pieces of MDF which I used a router on the edges.
- I sanded all of the edges and smoothed out the top surface to almost a glass finish.
- Acrylic Gesso I feel would have been too thick and a lot of detail would have been lost on the beveled edges of the wood. I decided to use a Spray paint Primer which worked great. It might actually replaces gesso when im working with wood surfaces permanently.
- Painted the backgrounds the two colors that worked well together in some cases the boarders where just darker colors than the inside.
- The colors inside of the owl are hand painted and made using stencils. I made a 12 part owl stencil and numbered them all in the order they needed to go. I also sware by repurpose tack spray on the back of my stencils now.
- After all the colors were put down I took the piece and used a silk screen to lay down the black to give it a nice border.