Simple images are sometimes the best ones. Acrylic on canvas 16″x20″. “Pushing up Daisies”
This is a hybrid piece of watercolor, acrylic, pen & ink. I lay down the bamboo with transparent black watercolor first then I start the first layer of the panda stencil which is the gray. After the gray dries (Usually speed up by hairdryer) I put the black stencil on.
The next step is to ink on the branches and leaves. I finish the piece by putting down the gray again and hand painting white acrylic so that it looks more natural and the white and gray create natural shadows against each other.
This piece was a first of its kind for me in many ways. I used various techniques for it.
- The paintings are on 9″x12″ pieces of MDF which I used a router on the edges.
- I sanded all of the edges and smoothed out the top surface to almost a glass finish.
- Acrylic Gesso I feel would have been too thick and a lot of detail would have been lost on the beveled edges of the wood. I decided to use a Spray paint Primer which worked great. It might actually replaces gesso when im working with wood surfaces permanently.
- Painted the backgrounds the two colors that worked well together in some cases the boarders where just darker colors than the inside.
- The colors inside of the owl are hand painted and made using stencils. I made a 12 part owl stencil and numbered them all in the order they needed to go. I also sware by repurpose tack spray on the back of my stencils now.
- After all the colors were put down I took the piece and used a silk screen to lay down the black to give it a nice border.
[embedplusvideo height="483" width="608" standard="http://www.youtube.com/v/00Xa6snhh8I?fs=1&hd=1" vars="ytid=00Xa6snhh8I&width=608&height=483&start=&stop=&hd=1&react=1&chapters=¬es=" id="ep6919" /]
This is a mural I painted based on an image I saw from National Geographic. It is a Baboon attacking a Pink Flamingo. The Whole piece took me 5 hours in total and is hand painted with Acrylic paint. I need some music for this video if anyone is willing to share. Other then that listen to it with your own music because there is no sound right now.